Pages

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 50 - Does Lemon Water Really Work?!

Hi, Tim here with my Day 50 update, my juice fasting update.

And I promised you that I would be getting my blood test results back today, which I have, which I am going to talk about in a little while.

Firstly I am going to talk about the fact that I lost 0.5 kg since yesterday, which is 1.1 pounds. Overall that is 20.5 kilograms that I have lost, which is 45 1/4 pounds. My current weight now is 90.9 kilograms, which is about 200 1/2 pounds. So I have nearly cracked the magical amount of getting under 200 pounds, which is fantastic.

Now, the other thing that has happened today was, people have been following along for many weeks, I have got a Nintendo Wii, the games console. And I am using the Wii Fit Plus package. And I weigh myself every day. And I set myself a goal, and about a month ago I reached my first ten kilograms, because that is the maximum weight you can set as a loss. I managed to reach that. And today marks the second time that I have reached the next landmark.



So I filmed that. It goes only for a couple of minutes. I am going to go into that now and show you what happens. It's a little bit comical actually, what actually happens. And then I will come back and talk about my blood test results.

So, let's have a look at this video, right now.

OK, so we are now. I'm just checking how much weight I have lost today. And that's my BMI on the screen here, as you can see, Body Mass Index.

I'll click that and I can see that I have lost 0.5 kg, which puts me at just under 91 kilogram.s.

There you can see the little graph there, pointing ever downwards.

Now, this is a little bit comical. The next screen. We'll click on this button. Today was actually the last day of my deadline. So I made it on the last day. And it is asking, have I reached my goal? Yes, I have. Congratulations, Tim! You can see I got under that BMI of 28.82. I'm currently 28.69.

Now it's interesting that it is saying again that "I'm worried, you were so quick in reaching your goal. I'm worried about your health."

Well, thank you Mr. Wii Plus, but I think I'm doing quite well!

Yeah, very interesting isn't it. I met it on the deadline, but obviously because I lost 10 kilograms in the last 30 days it is saying that it was too quick.

And saying my BMI is 28.69, I am actually aiming for a BMI of 25, which is around about 80 kilograms.

What I am going to do now is set it to 10 kilograms. Click on this.

Now I'm setting this weight loss to be over the next 2 months. I have decided because I am going off my juice fast I am setting myself a goal to lose the remaining 10 kilograms over a period of the next 2 months. And I will just specify the time frame now. 2 months. And you can see that's about 2.3 kilograms per week. OK, I will just save that.

OK, Mr Wii, we'll do what we think is best. The Wii Fit is again saying you're trying to lose too much weight, but we are comfortable with that.

So I'm just going to go and have a look now at my weight loss journey since Day 1 of the fast. Because basically I have weighed myself every day, and you can go back here and click on that and look at my history. You can see there now, I can see time of day, and what my weight was in kilograms. We'll just change the scale so you can see more. Just change that. You can go right back and see when I started now. I will just scroll up and have a look. Literally the first day I started. Scroll up. There it is the first day I started. This is how much weight I have lost.

There is no weight going up. It has been going down every single day, as you can see there, right back to July 12th, which was when I first started. Right the way down. I went from being in the Obese category down to the Overweight category. And now I'm well down on that as well so I am moving closer down to my ideal weight, which is wonderful. And that is my current weight 90.9.

I thought you would like to see that. I'm pretty impressed, overall. Let's get back to the other video anyway.

OK, so there you go. I'm quite impressed with what has happened so far. And it's interesting isn't it, that Wii. It's obviously a good thing that I met the goal. It's interesting that the Wii was saying you've lost your weight too quickly. I think I will just ignore that for now, because I am quite happy with my progress.

But yeah, as I said I've decided to go for a smaller amount of weight, or, to lose the same amount of weight, ten kilograms, but in the next 60 days, as opposed to the next 30 days. And that is because I am going back to an eating diet. And my focus is going to be on eating healthy, and not so much on losing weight, although I still do aim to lose weight. And I believe I will lose weight doing that, but I am not going to be so anal about it. So I still set myself an ambitious goal. It is still double pretty much what the Wii says is a comfortable weight loss. So let's see how I go in the next 60 days.

But anyway, let's move on now. Let's talk about my blood tests and lemon water!

Now, for those of you who haven't seen the last couple of days, I suggest you go back to Day 46, I believe it is, where I talked about this in detail. I talked about the fact that I went back to the doctor and asked for a new set of blood tests. Now, these are the blood test results from Day 46, because it took a while for them to be processed and for me to schedule a new appointment with the doctor.

First things first, my blood pressure was 110 over 80. Now that is absolutely perfect for a 20 to 30 year old male in very good health. And obviously I'm 47, so obviously I was very pleased to hear that.

But now, let's talk about the blood test results. I did get quite a few different results. I asked for quite a range of things.

First things first, as a negative, my vitamin D is down. Now, what that means is, vitamin D, probably more than anything means not enough sunlight. The normal range is between 60 and 160 and mine was 34. And the doctor has suggested some vitamin D capsules, which I am going to take, and to retest it in about 8 weeks time.

Not a terribly bad thing. The other thing I'm going to do is change my walk time, because I used to walk early in the morning. I have changed that now to be walking in the afternoon, when the sun is out. So I think by that process I am going to fix that particular issue, because purely because I am indoor type person, with an indoor job, I don't go outside a lot. I'm not into gardening or anything like that.

Again, interesting, if I didn't do the blood test I wouldn't know this. But the fact that I have done the blood test I can actually work on correcting it, which is good.

But let's talk about sugar, which is glucose in the blood. When I first did the glucose test, before I started the juice fast, my glucose level was 5.9. Now anything over 5.5 is considered high, anything towards that scale is getting really high. And my glucose level was really high and the doctor said it was starting to look like it was going towards diabetes.

Bear in mind also that before this juice fast I actually spent a couple of months trying to cut down my sugar content, in terms of obviously not eating chocolates and so forth. And I lost about 5 kilos in that 3 months, even though I wasn't strictly dieting. But I certainly dropped my sugar content, is the point I was making. So interesting that even then it was 5.9.

It is down now to 3.8, which is fantastic! The doctor said he was very pleased with that, and I'm very pleased as well because it is a significant drop from what it was at the beginning of this juice fast.

The next thing was cholesterol. My previous reading was 4.6, which again was starting to get high. It wasn't too bad, but it certainly wasn't too good either. And the other thing was LDL cholesterol was quite high as well. But now my overall cholesterol was 3.4. So I'm pleased about that. That's quite a dramatic drop as well. And it puts me in relatively normal range. And of that, the LDL cholesterol, the bad cholesterol, went down from 3.0 to 2.0 as well.

One little negative is the HTL cholesterol, which is the good cholesterol in your body, is still low. Previously it was 1.0, it is now 0.9. The doctor has said fish oil capsules, from fish, cod liver oil, those types of things. Until the end of my juice fast I'm going to be taking fish oil capsules, and then I'm going to be looking at that again, eating some fish and having a look at other ways that I can actually up that HTL cholesterol.

Not really a lot else to report. Just reading off the screen now. Cell counts are all fine. Iron etc. Vitamin B12 is fine. For those of you who don't know, if you are on a long term fast you need to consider vitamin B12, because that is not in any plants and vegetables. I think it might be in seaweed, but generally you need to take supplements if you are going for a long term fast, greater than 20 or 30 days or so. So I have been taking vitamin B12, and obviously now it's all been fine. It's doing well.

My thyroid function is slightly down. The range that it should be in is around 0.5 to 5.5, and it's down to 0.22. The doctor said it's a bit of a worry. It shouldn't be down. It shouldn't be down at all, but the fact that it is, they are not too worried. They are going to test it again in 8 weeks time. I'm not terribly worried about it. It's just something to keep an eye on. But I will see how I go in 8 weeks time when I retest this.

I'm going to do another blood test in 8 weeks time and just check the vitamin D levels, and also check the thyroid to make sure that's OK.

And just ureic acid. The urea - the ureic acid is mildly increased, but still in range. And the urea level is mildly decreased. Both of those are probably symptoms of giving the liver a really, really good workout. And I think the toxins that are coming out of my body are going through and being coming out of my body is giving the liver a really good workout. So that appears to be the reason why they're elevated. I suspect as I get closer to the goal weight and as this toxic stuff is removed from my body, that symptom is going to disappear. So we will keep an eye on that as well.

So I guess the point I am trying to make here is doing the juice fast, overall it has worked fantastically well. My blood pressure has gone down. My cholesterol has gone down. My sugar level has gone down. A couple of negatives that I wouldn't have been aware of it I hadn't had a blood test, which was the vitamin D. Incidentally low vitamin D can cause a lack of motivation. It can be hard to get out of bed in the morning to go do work. You're just feeling lazy. That's a symptom of vitamin D deficiency. But that's actually symptoms I actually had. I found it hard to get motivated and stuff. So it's good that we're aware of that. It's good that we're doing these blood tests. Even though I don't necessarily agree with other things the doctors suggest, like a pill for everything, in this particular case, these deficiencies can pretty well be naturally fixed, like more sunlight in the case of vitamin D, and fish oil capsules, or actual fish when I get off the diet, or something of that nature to increase the good cholesterol in my body.

So I don't need to go back to take drugs. I'm not taking any medication whatsoever. For those who don't know, have a look at my Day 1 to Day 7 videos, and you will see that I was very nasally. And that's because I was asthmatic. I'm saying "was" an asthmatic, because that has completely cleared up. I haven't had any medication for weeks now. And I don't have any plans to go anywhere near it again. I don't think I'll need to, quite frankly.

The only thing I need to do is continue to the end of the juice fast and lemon cleanse. Six days to go. And then after that it's a matter of me eating healthy, finding a proper balanced diet. I'm not going to be having dair. I've pretty well decided I'm going to go completely off dairy. I'm going to have very little meat. I'm going to have meat every now and then. But meat will be the side dish and not the main. The main meal is going to be the salads, the fruits, nuts, legumes, and those types of things. And that's really my focus. And I think by doing that any other issues I've got are going to be sorted out. But also I'm going to be continuing to get to healthy.

So I have only got 10 kilos to go now, around about 10 kilos. I want to get to about 80 kilograms. You saw that, when I was on the Wii Fit. The goal is now to get to 80 kilograms in about 2 months time, losing about 2.3 kilograms per week. And I feel confident that I can do that, and it's just a matter of really transitioning now into eating food, which I'm going to do.

And again for people who have asked - and I am getting lots and lots of messages. Feel free guys, when leaving the messages, is put them on the videos. Because the good thing, putting them on the videos, is then other people get to read it, and I can answer it, and we help other people. For all those people who have been writing in, yes I am going to be doing these videos past the point of the juice fast, and I am going to be talking about the transitioning. I have got a couple of challenges ahead of me. Obviously I am going to get off juice fasting and go to eating normal foods. And then only 5 days after my juice fast I'm actually going away to Phuket for about 6 days. So the next challenge there is to make sure I'm eating healthy and still in the groove while over there.

And I am actually going to be doing some videos on my iPad while over there, and I'm going to be posting those to my YouTube where I keep you guys informed on what's going on. So stay tuned for that.

Alright, I'm going to leave it there for now. Overall fantastic report. I do suggest you see your doctor before you start a juice fast. Get those blood tests done, because then you've got a base to start from. And look what has happened in my case. It's total proof that the juice fast has worked. All my bad levels in terms of cholesterol, sugar etc. have gone down. My blood pressure is now perfect. Juice fasting has done that for me. So I'm feeling fantastic. Feeling pumped about it.

So if there's any proof to be had, here's the proof in me. Obviously the weight that I have lost, but also the health in my body, which overall I have got a big tick from my doctor in terms of the blood, as to what is going on in my body. And all of this is a result of the juicing. So I am feeling pretty fantastic about that.

And hopefully this is inspiring you, if you are thinking about doing it, or if you are looking to continue, that this is something that will work.

Again, I'm going to leave it there for now.

I'll see you tomorrow for Day 51.

Bye for now.

You can watch a high definition version of this Lemon Water video here if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment