Pages

Monday 1 August 2011

Day 21 - Vegetable Cleanse Can Be Damn Expensive

Hi, Tim here with my Day 21 Update.

Yes, can you believe it! I have been doing this for nearly three weeks. By the end of today I will have been on this juice fast for three weeks, and I am still going strong.

0.4 kg weight loss since last time, which is just under a pound, about .9 of a pound. Overall that is 10.6 kilograms, or 23.5 pounds, or thereabouts, that I have lost since I started.


So everything is on track. Still feeling fantastic. The vegetable cleanse is doing quite well. And I am still experimenting, trying to find the healthiest juices. Overall I think I'm succeeding. I'm actually getting into celery now. And this is something that I got a comment on a video from someone who's just starting out, I believe, and having trouble finding juices they like. What I can say there is hang in, hang in there, because it actually gets a lot easier. What I'm finding is some of the juices that I'm sure when I first started this juice fast that I would not have liked, I am getting used to.



For example, take this morning's juice, which some people might go: er! That sounds horrible! Celery, grapefruit, lemon, lime, had some apple, had some pear as well. And I am just trying to think what else there was. But the celery was really put, probably quite prominent, I used quite a bit of celery, perhaps 20% of the drink, maybe 25% (actually closer to 50%) was celery alone.

So at lunch time - it's coming up about quarter past 11 here, so in a few hours I'll have something, another juice - I will have celery again. I will probably have some spinach this time, and maybe some broccoli as well. So my drink will be like fully green. It will be a proper mean green juice. And more and more vegetables. My lunch and dinner juices are green now.

So, my point to all this is it's possible, if you hang in there, even though the taste might be off putting to you, you will actually get used to it, and your body seems to start liking it. And I'm finding that I can't really find a juice, no matter how I mix the juice at this stage, that I actually don't like. There are some that I like more than others, sure. And, yes, given a choice, I probably would go back and have fruits only, fruit juices only. But the reality is, and I've written this down actually...

About 4 or 5 days ago I talked about how I thought I might be having too much in the way of fruit juice and not enough vegetables. Well, in the last 4 days I have lost .5 kg, .4 kg, .3 kg, and .4kg again. That's 1.6 kg in 4 days (3.5 pounds).

Contrast that to a few days before, and I was like .1 kg and then .2 kg and then .1 kg again. So in other words, just by changing my juices to have more vegetables I am losing more weight. And I'm sure if I took it to the next level, and I had 70% or 80% vegetables that probably the weight loss would increase again as well. And it's my goal to do just that.

Because obviously the amount of sugar in fruits is a real issue to your body. If you have too much in the way of sugar, that can have a detrimental effect to your body overall, and of course a detrimental effect to the weight loss.

I think that's all. I think that's all I wanted to talk to you about today.

Cheap healthy recipes. When I say "cheap" I'm finding, and I'm sure other people out there are finding this, fruit and vegetables are very expensive. It's actually a lot more, I'm finding, to continue on with this type of eating (drinking I should say, because I'm not actually eating, I'm on a fast) but using just purely fruit and vegetables I'm finding it's actually costing more than it would have been if I had to stuck to purely processed, man-made foods.

Interesting isn't it, how backwards our society is, that to eat healthy costs more than to eat unhealthy. So literally the foods that are killing us, the processed foods, you know, with the very unhealthy trans fats and all the other sorts of man made ingredients, and of course the massive amount of sugar they add pretty well to anything they can, which is actually documented that it can kill you, by the processes of making you gain weight, which obviously in itself is a real negative for your body, but just in terms of what that sugar and so forth does to your body, but yes that's cheaper to survive on.

I saw a documentary, I think it was called Food Incorporated. Very good, if you have not seen that, do a Google for it. I think there is a preview for it on YouTube which you can find. And there was a person on there who was talking about how to feed a family of four it is cheaper for her to go through McDonald's, or that type of fast food type place to buy a burger to feed them than it would be for fruit and vegetables.

I find that amazing, that we have got our standards just so backwards when it comes to that. We need to do it the other way so that healthier is cheaper. One of the things that I am looking to do is set up an organic garden and grow my own vegetables. And this is probably where my partner Louise will kick in, because she is a much better gardener than me. But that is literally something that we are looking to do now, is set up a garden and start growing our own fruits and vegetables, so that we don't have to be part of this problem.

Obviously it is going to take some time to grow them, but once you have grown them, of course, your only cost is the cost of maintaining them, and giving them some water and love every day, which is pretty simple.

So that is the plan, obviously organic foods, organic fruits and vegetables, are the way to go.

But yes, just interesting, that observation of mine that it is a lot cheaper to eat unhealthy. It seems to be very bizarre to me. What do you think? Let me know what you think, I would love to hear from you, as always.

All right, well I am going to leave it there for today.

As I said everything is going quite well, and I am looking forward to Day 22 tomorrow, with yet another update.

And for those of you who are struggling with the taste, hang in there, it does get better. It gets to the stage now where I am finding I don't really care what it tastes like, I am quite happy to drink it. I feel neutral towards it. It's something I don't think that is disgusting or anything like that, whereas if I had tried a large component of vegetable juice early on I probably would have thought that it all tasted very nasty.

You know, and thinking about it further, is there a problem with you starting off having a bit too much juice, fruit juice? You know, going through a sweeter side first, and then slowly moving into it.

I don't think there's a problem. If you set yourself a goal to lose a certain amount of weight, in a certain period of time, if you are going to start off doing more fruit juices than vegetables, maybe you just need to adjust your goal a little bit to say, OK, I'm probably not quite going to lose quite as much weight initially because I am having more of this fruit, but set yourself a plan like maybe you start off on the third 70% / 30% mix or 80% / 20% - so 80% fruit juice and 20% vegetables. And try and change it so that over time you are getting to 50% / 50%.

I mean, I probably now am just getting to the stage where I am 50% / 50%. I am trying to change that now and eventually I want to go to a 70% / 30% split to vegetables, so that the majority of my juice is going to be vegetables. So I am moving towards that all the time.

It's an ongoing thing, and that's maybe something you need to think of. Just the fact, even if you are a fruit only fruit juice fast, it is still going to be a lot better for you than the processed foods you have been eating in the past. Keep that in mind. Don't beat yourself up. Don't be too upset with yourself if you can't stick to all the vegetables initially. Just remember it is a journey, and it's starting today and each day you get through this process things get a little bit easier. And you get a little bit more in control, and you start feeling happy with yourself, because you are succeeding.

Think about it as a life plan. So this is like a big reset. You are resetting your body, much as if you had turned your computer on and off. You are restarting your state almost from scratch, almost. You are fixing problems that have been caused over a period of time with the bad foods you have been ingesting. And this is the part where you say you actually start. So this is day one. This is the start. We are actually starting this process. So don't think you need to be where I'm at, at Day 21, because I've had to go through this period for three weeks.

Anyway, I think I am rambling, but I hope you get the point there: don't beat yourself up, keep at it, day by day it will get better, and the weight will start falling off, and you will be feeling healthier every single day. Every single ml for that matter that you are able to stick to the juice fast you are going to be helping your body. Keep that in mind. It's a magical thing and not something that you should be thinking that is not really doing much help, because it absolutely is really changing your life.

Okay, I look forward to updating you on my progress tomorrow morning!

Cheers for now.

You can watch a high definition version of this Vegetable Cleanse Video here if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment