Pages

Monday 18 July 2011

Day 7 - Vegetable Drink Cravings? Well Maybe Not...

Hello!

Tim here with Day Seven.

Yes, I've nearly made it! By the end of this day it will have been a week since I started this juice fast. And I'm still living, breathing and surviving.

So how have I gone?

Well, overnight I lost 0.3kg, which is about 0.66 pounds. So just over half a pound.

Overall, after six full days of this, I've lost 5 kg, which is 11 pounds. So, as I said, Day Seven will be a full week tomorrow. Because I actually started obviously in the morning.


So I'm pretty pumped up about this still. I'm pretty excited, the fact that it is still working, that I'm still losing weight. I have lost weight every single day. This is my smallest ever weight loss only .3 of a kilogram but still I will take the weight loss anyway I can get it. Quite frankly the fact that it's going down every day is very, very nice.



The other thing was that I walked 5.86 km today, which is 3.6 miles in one hour and eight minutes. So that's the furthest I've walked since I've restarted my exercise and at the fastest pace as well. So obviously I'm getting more energy. I'm able to go further. I'm doing better stuff to my body.

Interesting enough, I didn't exercise yesterday. If you watched yesterday's video yo saw that I didn't do any exercise. I decided to have a rest day. And I am still going to do that but I am wondering whether that had some sort of relationship to the weight loss.

So we'll see how we go tomorrow, to see how the weight loss has gone and compare that with today's weight loss. But overall again very, very happy.

I'm getting really used to this vegetable drink, well vegetable and juice drinks, the fact that I have been doing this for nearly 7 days. The body is quite used to it. I'm sort of into a bit of a routine, I guess you could say.

I'm finding out more about vegetable nutrition and things that I need to understand more about how this stuff works. But it's good at this stage. I'm not spending a lot of time. I'm not looking for low carb vegetables for argument's sake. I'm just finding vegetables that I think would juice well and combining them. And the ones that I think taste really horrible, I'm not using. So I'm not spending a lot of time on that.

So at this stage I'm happy with the progress I'm making, mixing and matching and trying different fruits and vegetables, other than using a few staples. I know for argument's sake, spinach is very good for you and broccoli is as well. But what I am saying is not going to the degree of researching this to the nth degree to make sure everything is right. And I don't think you need to do that. Just the fact that I'm juicing, having juice, vegetable juice and fruit juice, is enough to be very, very good for my body. And the results are obviously on the board, aren't they: 5 kg, 11 pounds in six days, full days, is a pretty good result. And it is one that I'm looking forward to continuing.

One thing I've noticed is late in the afternoon and early evening I'm getting quite bored. And that's when I'm really feeling – well, what I used to do in that period of time, I think I talked about this on day one video, was I used to be quite hungry at that time. At the end of the day, late afternoon, mid to late afternoon, early evening was my danger period, when I used to really eat all the wrong things.

And what I have found is now late in the afternoon, evening that's when I've got more of a feeling that I perhaps want to eat something else and I'm a bit bored. And I'm realising now that one thing I used to do prior to that, was I used to eat for boredom, to relieve the boredom. So I wasn't necessarily hungry. So obviously I was looking for something to do so.

So what I need to do is find another interest or something, I think, for that period of time where I have done enough work for the day (and I am lucky enough to work from home anyway). But if I have done enough work for that day I need to find another interest. And not just be looking for food. which is what I obviously used to do to relieve that boredom. So, interesting that you can get yourself into that scenario.

Just in relation to hunger... If you are hungry, do what I do, which is have a drink of water first. So tell yourself, ask yourself rather, are you really hungry? Have a drink of water. Half glass or a glass if you can have that much. And wait for about 5 min and then ask yourself the question again.

You would be amazed that often when you ask yourself the second time, that you are not hungry. And if you do come back hungry and this is if you are trying purposely not to eat anything and you have decided that you've had your juice, or you are just trying to cut down on eating bad food. Ask yourself again, Am I hungry? And go through the process twice.

And I find that most times if I do that the first time, have that drink, that feeling will go away. It's a temporary feeling. Much like, I gather (because I'm not a smoker but I understand that) smokers have a similar issue. They have a craving. And if you can get past that craving for a cigarette you can move on. And that's how you sort of learn to wean yourself off them.

I think it's a similar thing here with your hunger cravings. If you are craving for sweet foods or whatever it is: just ask yourself, Am I hungry? And have a drink of water, and that is also going to have a benefit obviously, drinking water, and filling your stomach up a little bit. And ask yourself again in 5 min and then maybe repeat the process and maybe wait 10 min if you can.

Often you will find that probably you are not hungry or if you are still hungry the second time around it's probably more a genuine hunger and that's the time to address that. So you would go and eat something or if you are on the juice fast plan, you would do something like you would actually have another small juice to carry you over to the next main juice drink.

It's very interesting. The body can actually confuse thirst with hunger.

So if you are not drinking enough water you can find these signals saying that you are hungry whereas actually it's because you're thirsty, your body needs more water.

So that's one of the other reasons that people suggest, and I suggest too, that you drink water, is to make sure that your body has got sufficiently hydrated, so that you are not getting those confusing signals. And again if you find that you are doing that you are drinking enough water, you probably will be going to get different or less hunger because there's more water in your stomach as well.

This afternoon, reading up on juice plans, some people talk about getting diarrhoea and constipation. So again water will help in either of those scenarios. And thankfully I'm not affected by any of those. But again water is very important.

So if you are doing this, if you are thinking of doing this, don't just think that it is a matter of doing three juices a day and nothing else. You should be topping yourself up with water during the day, quite a fair bit of water as well.

Remember apart from the hunger side of things, water is very good at cleansing things and clearing out the toxins and all that other stuff that has really built up in your body. If you're overweight now probably from many years, in my case probably 30+ years. So that's where water is flushing all that stuff out. So that's another benefit of drinking water.

Okay not much else to talk about. I just had an interesting conversation with someone yesterday about energy drink dangers. We were talking about Gatorade and some of these other brands. Something again they don't push is that they are really, really heavily loaded with sugars. So you really needed to be careful about how much of these drinks you actually drink.

Even Diet Coke, and Pepsi max and so forth. Whilst they haven't got sugar they do have that artificial sweetener which is actually very bad for you. So what I do suggest is that you go off all that stuff. If you are doing just juice fast altogether, make sure you're not having energy drinks or even any low-calorie stuff, you're just sticking to the juice. No coffee, no caffeine. I mean I know it's hard for the first few days but if I can do it guys, you can do it as well. And the fact is you going to be better off for it. Becase all that stuff you're putting into your body, or, that you were putting into your body, you are no longer doing. So that's going to really help you in the long run. So I really suggest you do that.

I think I'm going to leave it there for now. As I said, it's a Day Seven update. So tomorrow Day Eight is going to be actually seven full days that have been on this diet. Whoops! I said that nasty word again, diet. It's not a diet. This is a juice fast plan, that is changing my life for the better. So I'm looking forward to telling you what my results are tomorrow.

So I will leave it there for now and I will talk to you soon,

Cheers for now.

You can watch a high definition version of this Vegetable Drink Video here if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment