Pages

Monday 5 September 2011

Day 56 - Juice Fast Journey Nearing Its End

Hello, Tim here with my Day 56 juice fasting update.

This is my final day of juice fasting. After today I am going back to solid food again. By the way, 56 days, in case you're wondering why it wasn't 60 days or 90 days, or 100. 56 days is exactly 8 weeks. Eight sevens are 56. That's the reason chose 56. Just to be a little bit different.

And I am pretty pleased that I am here now! Again, it still hasn't been a struggle I have to say, mostly. It has been quite straight forward, and I am pleased to have made it to my last day. So, feeling pretty pumped about that. I am going to talk about the actual diet, fruit juice diet, veggie juice diet or, not diet, but eating plan I should say. A book I think you need to read - I am going to talk about shortly and show you.

But before I do that I'll just talk about my weight loss. I lost 0.2 kilograms, which is around about half a pound since yesterday. Total weight loss now is 22.9 kilograms, which I think is around about 50.5 pounds now. Current weight is now 88.5 kilograms, and that is around 195 pounds, give or take.



So, feeling pretty pleased. And I will do one final weigh-in tomorrow because that will cover today's weight loss. And if I do manage to lose weight tomorrow it will mean that for every single day of my juice fast, for all 56 days, I would have actually lost weight, which is quite amazing, I think. Never before have I had an eating plan where I have consistently lost weight every single day. Even stringing together three or four days of weight loss. I think I got in one of my previous diets up to 7 days where I lost weight in a row. And I thought that was fantastic.

But here we are and I have now lost weight 55 days in a row, and expecting to lose weight tomorrow for Day 56, the final day, for today's weight loss.

OK, let's talk about this book. Eat For Health, by Dr Joel Furhmann. This is a book I think you need to read. This is a book for transitioning off a juice fast. Now I bought this from Amazon. I got this shipped over to Australia. It is actually two books. I don't think I have got the other book here actually. It is part of a two book series. This one here - I'm just looking for it, no, I can't see it.

This is book two. You can see it there, it says Book Two, the Body Makeover. The first one is more the scientific reasons, the research and so forth as to why conventional foods is bad for you, why dairy is bad for you, and what your staple diet should be.

I will go through a couple of recipes, just quickly. I won't bore you too much. But I'm going to talk about what I'm going to be having tomorrow. He has got some really good recipes here for smoothies. Now the one that I like is this one here on page 107.

Now, let me just read out the ingredients. This is a smoothie. Now, for those people who don't know, to make a smoothie you use a blender instead of a juicer. And you put these ingreidents in and then you drink it. And the difference between that and a regular juice is of course that with a smoothie you have got everything. It is basically all the ingredients that are mixed up and you are drinking it, as opposed to a juicer, where you are only getting the actual juice. So with the smoothie you are getting the fiber as well.

So, the ingredients: 5 ounces baby spinach; 1 medium banana; 1 cup frozen fresh blueberries; half a cup soy milk; half a cup pommegranate juice (or other unsweetened fruit juice); and 1 tablespoon of flax seeds.

Now that serves two. Preparation time is about 3 minutes because you just put it all in a blender, mix it up, and then drink it.

Calories, about 196 calories. Protein is about 6.5 grams. It has got some really healthy stuff basically. And that is just an example of a recipe.

He has also got some recipes for salads, dressings, dips, and actual full meals. There's another one that I actually like here, and I am not going to read out the ingredients, because it is not too much, but vegetable stew. And it has got lots of ingredients. I will just read out a couple. Carrots, split peas, lentils, beans, some kale, coloured greens, broccoli etc. And it makes a beautiful and nutritious sounding vegetable stew. Very, very good for your body, and there are no meats.

That's the other thing that he is pushing, is, limit meats to either not at all, or once or twice a week, only.

Remember that the main reason you probably want to have meat, unless you want to use a substitute, is for vitamin B12. Because you can't get vitamin B12 in virtually any vegetable or fruit. Apparently you can get it in seaweed, but I am not convinced of that. I have read a little bit of that.

I would highly recommend this book if you are getting off a juice fast. I will put the link in these video notes. So click on the Show More button in YouTube, or go straight to Amazon and have a look. I suggest you buy this book. Book 1 is good also because it talks about the scientific side, the research side, but also getting your mind right. And the other thing he has got in there which I really like is he has got an index of all vegetables and fruits and how high they are, in terms of protein, and some of the other things, and how good they are for you. So you know how these foods are put together. And each of these recipes - and look, there's pages and pages of recipes - are extremely healthy, using all the good stuff. You're not using any processed foods, you're not using any dairy products. You are using soy milk, but that is obviously not traditional dairy stuff.

And no meat or anything like that. Or - I think he may have a couple of dishes that have got meat in there which are optional. But you can obviously do them without.

So, you are probably wondering why I am going to a smoothie, from day one? Well, the thing is, getting off a juice fast, if you have been on one for a long period of time, the lining in your stomach, in terms of the 'juices' for want of a better word, that help to go and digest your food, are basically non-existent, or have been basically been reduced since your juice fast. And the reason for that is of course your body hasn't had to do much digestion for the period of time that you have been juice fasting.

So what you need to do is gradually go back to eating proper foods that are minimizing the amount of digestion your body needs to do, because it hasn't got all the 'ingredients' it needs to do the digestion. I read stories online from people who have just gone off a juice fast and just started eating normally, and have been in horrendous pain. Because basically there should be a lining in their stomach with these juices, and they're not there. So the food you're ingesting is hitting that spot in your stomach where it shouldn't be. And consequently it's a very painful process.

I don't think it's life-threatening or anything like that, as far as I know. Bear in mind I am not a doctor. But, it's not worth risking.

So, what I am doing is starting off with smoothies, and maybe a bit of fruit, so that the body has minimal work to do. And again, we're making it as easy as possible, because it's all smoothed up. There's not a lot of processing it needs to do to process that food. It still needs to do more work than it has done with the juicing. But by doing that over the first couple of days, which is my plan, primarily smoothies, and perhaps the odd bit of fruit, the body is going to get back to work and start producing those juices, or enzymes, whatever that technical word for that is. And I will swing back into it.

So by the end of Sunday, when I get to Sunday I will be in Phuket. I will be ready to go. I will be ready to eat the foods over there. I am still going to be very careful. I have already done some research into the foods, some of the things I will be trying and not trying. But I will be talking more and showing you some of the foods that I am eating while I am over there. Because obviously they're very spicy, which is good, I like spice. And very healthy as a rule, but I will actually show you those in some of my videos that I am going to be doing over there, what I am going to be eating. Because that is obviously going to be part of the transitioning as well.

But, whatever you do, at least have a read of this book. Even if you're doing a juice fast, what I did, was I read this book, the two book series, I read these books while I was on my juice fast, because I wanted to be prepared. I didn't want to go back to old habits. I am refusing, point blank, to go back to my old habits. So for me it is going to basically be fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, you know, beans, those types of things, seeds. That's going to give me every single thing I need for my body, other than vitamin B12. And for that I am going to eat that, once or twice a week I am going to have some chicken or something of that nature that has got vitamin B12, or I am going to take a supplement.

At the moment I am taking a supplement for vitamin B12, because obviously on a juice fast I need to do that, because I am not having meat. But I will make that decision, and it may well be that I won't have meat at all, or it will be very very rare occasions that I will have it.

Alright. I am going to leave the video there for now. That's Day 56 of my juice fasting plan. I will be back tomorrow with my final weight loss update for my juice fast. But again, bear in mind I am still going to be continuing these videos, talking about my transitioning. And if I get the chance tomorrow I might even show you my blend, show you taking my first sip of my new blended smoothie!

Talk to you then. Cheers for now.

You can watch a high definition version of this Juice Fast here if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment